The exhibition was based on "color-hunting," a design method that the designer Dai Fujiwara came up with from his own research. Works were based on real colors that exist in the natural habitat and our cities, as watercolor was mixed spontaneously on to pieces of paper. While showing new possibilities for color, collaborative results with researchers, corporations and educational facilities were also presented.
Date: June 21 - October 6, 2013
Color is like a living creature. As is sound and scent, color is fluid and can be interpreted from different perspectives including sense, science, and culture. Color also exists in things, space, and information to gently communicate the many messages they have to deliver. If our words could be replaced by color, our world could unfold like a universe of light and meaning.
Today, the things that we call "design" has transcended from a tool for the mass to a life skill shared by children and adults alike; a thing of great social influence and an indispensable cornerstone that enriches our lives. In that belief, I have experimented extensively to come up with concepts and actions that could become a threshold to universal design. I'd like to make a difference in future design by starting the process from color.
To take color, collect color, photograph color, record color, and capture color...
I call this "color-hunting." We are developing various projects with different exhibitors as we think and struggle together on the topic of color. Through this exhibition, I'd like to think and discover design with our visitors in hopes that this will turn into "one" opportunity in the making of a creative society.
- Organized by
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT, THE MIYAKE ISSEY FOUNDATION
- In association with
- Agency for Cultural Affairs, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, MINATO CITY BOARD OF EDUCATION
- Subsidized by
- The Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands
- Special sponsor
- Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd.
- Sponsored by
- CAMPER, JIN CO., LTD.
- Supported by
- ASAHI SHIGYO CO., LTD., IID, Inc., NTT DOCOMO, EPSON SALES JAPAN CORPORATION, ERCO Lighting Ltd., Canon Marketing Japan Inc., Joshibi University of Art and Design, TAKEO CO., LTD., HUAWEI, BenQ Japan Co., Ltd., YAMAHA CORPORATION
- Exhibition director
- Dai Fujiwara
- Planning associate
- Cawaii Factory
- Production support
- Soichi Ito
- Graphic design
- Taku Satoh Design Office
- Space design
- DAIFUJIWARA AND COMPANY
- Sound design
- Masato Hatanaka
- Participating creators
- Tomohiro Akagawa, Koichi Iga (Color Universal Design Organization), Shigeru Ida, Taichi Inoue, Kayoko Ota, Masato Oshima, Keiko Goto, Jiro Komiyama, Takashi Kiriyama, Semitransparent Design, Hirozumi Takakusaki, Yoichi Nakajima, Mieko Naito, Nobuko Funaki, Irma Boom, MOTOKO, Shigeru Moroizumi, Kazuki Yamazaki, Yu Yamanaka, Ayaka Yamamoto
- Participating companies
- KAWAI DYEING WORKS CO., LTD., CAMPER, SHINOHARA FURINHONPO, JIN CO., LTD., Soup Stock Tokyo, THE SAILOR PEN CO., LTD., TOKIWA PHYTOCHEMICAL CO., LTD., YAMAHA CORPORATION
- Participating institutions
- International Design Academy School of comprehensive Design, OMULA BEAUTY CREATES, Sado Municipal Niibo Elementary School, Joshibi University of Art and Design, TOHOKU UNIVERSITY OF ART AND DESIGN, HAL Tokyo College of Technology & Design, Bunka Fashion College, RIKEN, Aalto University, Hong Kong Design Institute, Parsons The New School for Design, Royal College of Art, Shih Chein University College of Design, University of Technology, Sydney