From July 19, 2019, 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT holds an exhibition entitled "Insects: Models for Design." Graphic designer Taku Satoh is exhibition director, and Takeshi Yoro, an anatomist known as an insect lover, is exhibition supervisor.
Insects are reflections of the natural world. Although they are always close to us, many facets of their lives remain unknown. Their richness of color, physiological qualities, structures and habits all offer us unseen worlds barely imagined. Insects have evolved over much longer period than humans, and by observing their diversity we will discover new creative possibilities. This exhibition seeks to view the mysterious world of insects as "models for design."
Designers, architects, structural engineers and artists exhibit work inspired by insects. Some have used their tiny skeletal systems to produce artificial objects, others have studied the skillful way they fold their wings and applied this to robots, others again have learned from the structure of larva nest how to generate human architecture. Astonishing ingenuity is found in every aspects of insects, from mouths and eyes to legs. We also found the interesting rules that lie behind the way we named insects through the relationships with them. The exhibition offers creators and visitors an opportunity to learn from insects and to reconsider their relationships with us.
- July 19 (Fri) - November 4 (Mon), 2019
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT Gallery 1 & 2
- Tuesdays (Except October 22)
- 10:00 - 19:00 (Entrance until 18:30)
- General ¥1,200 / University Students ¥800 / High School Students ¥500 / Junior High School Students and under may enter for free
Click here for discount information
- Organized by
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT, THE MIYAKE ISSEY FOUNDATION
- In association with
- Agency of Cultural Affairs; Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry; MINATO CITY BOARD OF EDUCATION
- Special Sponsor
- Mitsui Fdosan Co., Ltd.
- TSDO Inc.
- Supported by
- Stratasys Japan Co., Ltd., Kyushu University Museum, Canon Inc., Canon Marketing Japan Inc.
- Exhibition Director
- Taku Satoh
- Takeshi Yoro
- Exhibit Design, Graphic Design (Promotion)
- Tomohiro Okazaki
- Planning Associates
- Kenji Kohiyama, Keiki Fukui, Munetoshi Maruyama
- Graphic Design (Exhibition Infographics)
- Sui Mukai (TSDO)
- Space Design
- Lui Igarashi
- Mai Tsunoo
- Associate Supervisor
- Maho Adachi
- Participating Creators
- Yosuke Abe, Takeshi Ishiguro, Tokuro Oka + Mao Kobayashi, Kengo Kuma and Associates + Alan Burden / Norihiro Ejiri / Jun Sato, Kenji Kohiyama, Keita Suzuki, Takeo Nakano, Hiroka Hasegawa, Perfektron, Haruka Misawa (Nippon Design Center, Inc.), Mirai Mizue, Sui Mukai (TSDO), Macoto Murayama, Suzuka Fujita + Yukiko Uno + Kenji Abe, Shunji Yamanaka + Kazuya Saito + Hiroshi Sugihara + Kotaro Tanimichi + Mitsuru Muramatsu, Satoshi Yoshiizumi (TAKT PROJECT), Akira Wakita
- Exhibit Supervision / Cooperation
- Shuhei Nomura (National Museum of Nature and Science, Tokyo), Hiroaki Kojima (Tokyo University of Agriculture), Seiichi Okuyama, Seidai Nagashima, Masashi Enju, Tatsuya Niisato (Bio Indicator Co., Ltd.), Institute of Plastination, Masato Sasaki (Tama Art University), Takahiko Hariyama (Hamamatsu University School of Medicine), Fumihiko Hirai (Tokyo Bug Boys), Takahiro Murakami (Institution of Decision Science for a Sustainable Society, Kyushu University), Ryuma Niiyama (The University of Tokyo), Hiroyuki Wakahara
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT Directors
- Issey Miyake, Taku Satoh, Naoto Fukasawa
- Associate Director
- Noriko Kawakami
- Director of Programs
- Tatsuya Maemura