>> Download the exhibition flyer (PDF)
21_21 DESIGN SIGHT holds the exhibition "The Original" from 3 March, 2023. Takahiro Tsuchida, a design journalist, is Exhibition Director.
This Exhibition gathers designs that have exerted a deep influence on daily life. These we define as The Original. The Original, however, does not only signify the "beginning" of a history of making. Its role is also to stimulate and challenge later designers. The Original is endowed with a fascination to ensure its lasting influence, and its essence will remain long afterwards.
21_21 DESIGN SIGHT has organized previous exhibitions on the concept of "design making life richer and more enjoyable, with the power to expand possibilities of thought and action." Important designs influence each other, developing histories. Items assume different forms according to the needs of the time. Nowadays society and lifestyles change so fast that we risk forgetting the very essence of design work. We lack even the urge to seek it out, as all is drowned in the superfluity of information.
This Exhibition does not follow each fashion and trend. Instead, by reconsidering The Original, as a reference point and a clue to today's designs, we bring you timeless starting-points for design, and reveal links to the designers who created them.
Some 150 products designated as The Original are exhibited, selected by three forefront figures in today's design world, Takahiro Tsuchida as Exhibition Director, Naoto Fukasawa as Supervisor and Kaoru Tashiro as Planning Associate. The items range from furniture, tableware, and textiles to toys. Accompanying the objects they have chosen are images and texts, explicating the works, documenting the process of selection, and pointing out connections between the pieces on show. The exhibition philosophy is laid comprehensibly and enjoyably.
To investigate designs surrounding us closely is to realize how the finest sparks of creation come at the intersection of individual and social vision. This Exhibition will bring up attention to these works - The Original - in the hope of broadening thought and action, and assisting the birth of future design.
- March 3 (Fri) - June 25 (Sun), 2023
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT Gallery 1 & 2
- Tuesdays (Except March 21)
- 10:00 - 19:00 (Entrance until 18:30)
- General ¥1,400 / University Students ¥800 / High School Students ¥500 / Junior High
School Students and under may enter for free
* Please note that new admission charges apply from this exhibition onwards.
* Online Tickets are available via Art Sticker (external website)
- Organized by
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT, THE MIYAKE ISSEY FOUNDATION
- In Association with
- Agency of Cultural Affairs; Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry; MINATO CITY BOARD OF EDUCATION
- Special Sponsor
- Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd.
- Exhibition Director
- Takahiro Tsuchida
- Naoto Fukasawa
- Art Director
- Taku Satoh
- Graphic Design
- Shohei Iida (ido)
- Space Design
- Yumika Yoshida (FLOOAT, Inc.)
- Planning Associate
- Kaoru Tashiro
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT Directors
- Taku Satoh, Naoto Fukasawa
- Associate Director
- Noriko Kawakami
- Program Manager
- Takako Nakahora
- Program Officer
- Masumi Ishi, Maya Suzuki
- Exhibit Cooperation
- I Next Ge Co,.Ltd.; ACTUS CO.,LTD.; ATELIER NIKI TIKI Co.,LTD.; APEX CO., LTD.; Arper Japan K.K.; EMC Co.,Ltd.; Aesop Japan K.K.; INNOCENT inc.; INNOVASIA K.K.; inter office ltd.; INTERIORS inc.; Vitra Co., Ltd.; WHILL Inc.; WELCOME Co., Ltd.; Uchida Design Inc.; OBT CO., LTD; OMRON HEALTHCARE Co., Ltd.; OLIVARI B. S.p.A.; Carl Hansen & Søn Japan K.K; Kasumikobo CO., Ltd.; CASSINA IXC. Ltd.; Kimura Glass Co., Ltd.; Kvadrat A/S; Groupe SEB Japan Co., Ltd.; kuwano trading co., ltd.; KPM Berlin GmbH; CORNES ＆COMPANY LIMITED; COMPLEX UNIVERSAL FURNITURE SUPPLY INC,; SAKURA SEISAKUSHO INC.; SATO SHOJI CORPORATION; Dzek Limited; SIGMA CORPORATION; SHUKOH Co.,Ltd.; Georg Jensen Japan Ltd.; SUGATSUNE KOGYO CO.,LTD.; Studio NOI Co., Ltd.; SOLFORMECO.LTD; Dynavector Systems Ltd.; TEAM IWAKIRI PRODUCTS CO., LTD.; DKSH Market Expansion Services Japan K.K.; Tecnolumen GmbH & Co.KG; Doi & Co. Luminabella Division; DRIADE JAPAN CO., LTD; DREAMBED.CO.,LTD.; Knoll Japan Inc.; The Nordisk Cirkus Co.,LTD; Herman Miller Japan Ltd.; HOW INC.; Panasonic Corporation; VanMoof Japan K.K; Fiskars Japan Co., Ltd.; PLUS CORPORATION; FRITZ HANSEN A/S; progetto81 Co. Ltd.; FLOS JAPAN K.K.; Punkt. Tronics AG; Honda Motor Co., Ltd.; marna inc.; Maurizio Corraini srl; Magniberg; Magis Japan Co., Ltd; MARUNI WOOD INDUSTRY INC.; MIYAKE DESIGN STUDIO; ag möbelfabrik horgenglarus; Metropolitan Gallery Inc.; MOMOTA TOUEN Co. Ltd; YANAGI DESIGN INSTITUTE; YANAGI Shop; Yamakawa Rattan Japan Inc.; YAMAGIWA Corporation; USM U. Schaerer Sons K.K.; United Paciﬁcs Co., Ltd.; UniFor Japan Co.,Ltd; Living Marketing Inc.; Lynn Inkoop Ltd.; Louis Poulsen Japan Ltd.; LOOK INCORPORATED; Royal Furniture Collection Co., Ltd.; Rosen and Co. Japan LLC; Rocinante Co., Ltd; YMK Nagaoka Co., Ltd.