21_21 DESIGN SIGHT will hold "Secret Source of Inspiration: Designers' Hidden Sketches and Mockups" from November 22, 2019. The director Kinya Tagawa is a design engineer at Takram, a firm actively engaging in developments of software, material objects and the interactive arts. The consists of sketches, drawings and mockups by current members of JAPAN DESIGN COMMITTEE. Unlike final products, such behind-the-scenes items are rarely accessible to the public, and yet 'hidden parts' reveal an important essence about creativity. Visitors will enjoy a stimulating and suggestive experience, especially powerful for the younger generation which is so reliant on digital tools for their work.
Since its foundation in 1953, JAPAN DESIGN COMMITTEE has contributed to development of the field by selecting outstanding products, and holding exhibitions through its long and fruitful relationship with Matsuya Ginza the department store in Tokyo. Prominent designers, architects and critics serve on the committee pro bono, with currently 26 members, ranging in age from 40s to 90s. Tagawa is one of the youngest, pursuing new territories in design engineering.
Interviews with all committee members will be delivered by Podcast in advance. We also plan lectures and discussion events with next generation. The exhibition will expand conventional frameworks to become a base for wide transmission of design information. We aim to be a node of connectivity for people across different generations and fields, and to provide everyone with the opportunity to assess the rich strains of Japanese design, so as to further future creativity.
*Images may differ from exhibits.
- November 22 (Fri), 2019 - March 8 (Sun), 2020
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT Gallery 1 & 2
- Tuesdays (Except December 24, February 11), December 26 - January 3
- 10:00 - 19:00 (Entrance until 18:30)
- General ¥1,200 / University Student ¥800 / High School Student ¥500 / Junior High School Student and under may enter for free
Click here for discount information
- Organized by
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT, THE MIYAKE ISSEY FOUNDATION
- Special Sponsor
- Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd.
- Special Supporter
- Matsuya Co., Ltd.
- Exhibition Director
- Kinya Tagawa
- Planning Associate
- JAPAN DESIGN COMMITTEE
- Graphic Design
- Taku Satoh
- Infographics Design
- Hiroki Fujimaki (TSDO)
- Space Design
- Takashi Nakahara
- Takahiro Tsuchida
- Film Production
- DRAWING AND MANUAL
- JAPAN DESIGN COMMITTEE Members
- Naoto Fukasawa (Product Designer) / Kenya Hara (Graphic Designer) / Keiko Hirano (Designer) / Takamichi Ito (Sculptor) / Hiroshi Kashiwagi (Design Critic) / Motomi Kawakami (Designer) / Toshiyuki Kita (Product Designer) / Atsushi Kitagawara (Architect) / Makoto Koizumi (Furniture Designer) / Kengo Kuma (Architect) / Masayuki Kurokawa (Architect / Product Designer) / Tetsuo Matsumoto (Architect / Interior Designer) / Shin Matsunaga (Graphic Designer) / Kaoru Mende (Lightning Designer) / Ryuji Mitani (Woodworker) / Kazufumi Nagai (Art Director) / Kazumasa Nagai (Graphic Designer) / Hiroshi Naito (Architect) / Ryu Niimi (Curator) / Taku Satoh (Graphic Designer) / Fumie Shibata (Product Designer) / Reiko Sudo (Textile Designer) / Yasuhiro Suzuki (Artist) / Kinya Tagawa (Design Engineer) / Toshiyuki Tanaka (Spatial Designer) / Shunji Yamanaka (Designer)
(As of September 30, 2019)
- 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT Directors
- Issey Miyake, Taku Satoh, Naoto Fukasawa
- Associate Director
- Noriko Kawakami
- Manager of Development & Programs
- Takako Nakahora
- Program Officer
- Masumi Ishii